A Message to Our Customers About COVID-19
April 13, 2020
Though the Houston and Cambridge areas have been issued a "shelter in place" order by local government officials, we are open and actively fulfilling orders.
Sprecher + Schuh provides critical products, support, and services to uphold supply chain consistency specifically related to the pandemic response. We service many manufacturers in the pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device, medical personal protective equipment, food and beverage, and household and personal care industries, among others. Additionally, we serve industrial and municipal organizations critical to infrastructure, including power and energy, water/wastewater, chemical, and oil and gas.
Because we are critical to ensuring these operations continue, we are exempt from local "shelter in place" orders,
while still maintaining the safety and health of our employees.
We continue to be committed to maintaining a high level of service to protect the safety and health of our communities so they can rebound faster.
March 18, 2020
Sprecher + Schuh is committed to health, safety, and doing all we can to maintain a high level of service. We are taking many actions to help minimize the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and continue to assess this dynamic situation and its impact daily. As you focus on keeping your teams, families and loved ones healthy and safe during this challenging and stressful time, we support you in maintaining your business continuity. Together, we will navigate this tough situation with a focus on safety while taking care of each other, our customers and our communities.
We have a supply chain risk assessment team in place
Our team continues to monitor the end-to-end extended supply chain and take proactive steps. These actions include building up inventory, securing additional freight capacity, and a robust expediting process for critical orders. We also continue to evaluate contingency plans throughout the network.
How we can work together
We encourage the following actions to help us all control the situation and help all of us serve our customers.
- Resist making significant changes to your demand. Simply put, do not panic buy. As a result of the pandemic, our manufacturing and suppliers' ability to react to significant increases in demand is limited and will cause systemic delivery issues.
- If you have critical needs: Continue to work with your local Sprecher + Schuh manufacturing representatives and your local Customer Care team.
Additional actions we are taking
Our actions are based on guidance and information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO). We will follow all country and/or local government regulations and restrictions.
- Monitoring effect on our Manufacturing Facilities: We have seen varying impacts across our global manufacturing locations. Broad quarantine measures have had an impact on absenteeism rates across multiple sites. We are monitoring the situation closely and ramping up resources and operations without compromising the safety of our employees.
- Assessing our supply base: We remain in frequent contact with our largest suppliers in the regions most affected. And, we're constantly assessing our supply base to ensure we are prepared to respond to critical areas of operations, inventory build-up, business continuity planning, and heightened awareness of hygiene practices.
- Monitoring effect on logistics - freight capacity: Freight continues to move both regionally and globally across our network. Transit times and capacity will vary with the effects of coronavirus (COVID-19). Because of the recent reduction in commercial airline flights and cargo space, we have secured additional flight capacity, explored dedicated charter flights, and have contingency plans for high volume lanes.
Social distancing best practices. We are encouraging employees to practice social distancing. This means, wherever possible, remaining out of large group settings, avoiding mass gatherings and maintaining distance with others, recommended at four to six feet apart.
Visitors to Sprecher + Schuh facilities. We are limiting visitors to facilities to business essential need only, and are encouraging people to conduct meetings and discussions virtually. For business essential visits, visitor screening guidelines will be applied to prohibit visitors who are ill or have traveled to restricted locations within a certain time period.
Domestic meetings/events/training. We have cancelled events that involve large groups of people, and will evaluate future events individually, considering timing, size, attendance and location.
Employees are working from home. Employees in office locations in geographies where there are a large number of reported cases have been directed to work from home or continue to work from home, wherever possible. This helps reduce the spread of the virus. We have directed any employee feeling ill or with any flu-like symptoms to stay home and seek medical attention immediately.
Enhanced cleaning in our facilities and major locations. Our Environmental Health and Safety Team continues to work with our cleaning vendors and food service providers to ensure safety and good cleaning practices are part of our standard operating procedures.
Increased employee communication on good safety practices. These include staying home when sick, respiratory etiquette, and hand hygiene best practices, avoiding touching the face, shaking hands or hugging. Our global security team is available 24/7 with emergency numbers published and communicated to all employees.
Resources and contact information
Our customer care and technical support teams are ready to assist you via email or phone. Other resources include the following
- Our B2B Portal is available 24/7 for Price & Availability, Order Tracking and Special Pricing Requests for distributors and manufacturing representatives.
- You can access our Tech Tip and FAQ articles (link to https://www.sprecherschuh.com/tips) in our Technical Support Center.
- We also offer virtual training classes in our Webex Training Center (link to https://sprecherschuh.webex.com). Just click on the Recorded Sessions link on the top left side. These supplemental training presentations may be of help if your technical support contact is temporarily unavailable.